Friday, January 8, 2021

The seller of fantasies

I've always been a fantasy salesman. It all started with a friend who founded the first store of these and ornaments for wholesale sales in Bogotá. Before, they were sold in china shops and other businesses of different kinds. Although there were many manufacturers, none of them had the idea of ​​organizing a business dedicated to distributing them. That's how I started. He sold wholesale in the neighborhoods of Bogotá, or in nearby towns. Little by little I was acquiring enough clientele to sustain me. Before I had dreamed of being a legal professional, but the environment got me into this field. However, I was saving nothing. The wholesale fantasy businesses prospered until smuggling arrived that competed with the national one at a better price, and of better quality.

Many manufacturers went bankrupt, while others progressed in San Andresito in such a way that they changed their businesses for theirs. To friend came up with the idea of ​​creating a shopping center that would only be accessories for women and men. Then "La Pajarera" appeared, perhaps called that, because it looks like one of these. Before it was a famous hotel called "El Cartagena" where travelers from other regions of Colombia flock to trade their items in San Victorino. Over the years, "El Cosmos" and other shopping centers appeared. Thus arose the competition for those of us who were wholesaling. Sales in surrounding neighborhoods and cities became more difficult. All the owners of the miscellanies wanted better prices and therefore the small merchants failed.

I had an idea. I remembered that I had a friend who made cases for these, and that he sold them at good prices in high-end stores in the center and north of Bogotá. I copied them. I started making them on my own. Since I couldn't compete with prices, I took apart earrings to turn into charms, and made sets with chains and earrings that, packed in the cases, looked attractive.

At first it was a good deal. With the earnings, I was able to pay for a year or two in college. In addition to the novelty of my activity, it was facilitated so that in the seasons like "Those of love and friendship", "The teacher's", "The mother's" and "Christmas", sales increase.

I made a mistake. I was given the case to offer the friend who founded the first fantasies store and creator of the idea of ​​the first shopping center, who bought them several times at a good price to put pins on them. It turned out to be a good deal, as we say to the articles that in addition to leaving a good profit margin, they sell like hot cakes. Then the friend proposed the idea of ​​making the case cheaper to another manufacturer, and in turn other merchants copied it, until it was discredited for its quality.

I was left without occupation for a long time. Years passed and I continued to survive. However, as many people realized what was in the suitcase, and in the belief that it could be gold, or something similar, I was subjected to robberies and robberies, especially in San Victorino and in the area where I live.

Still, I subsisted. There was an economic opening that facilitated the entry of these goods from Taiwan, Korea and Japan made with better technologies. The market was flooded with these items. The clientele was over since you could not compete with the prices. I decided to retail it on the streets. It was not the same. In addition, the police would not let us work because of the invasion of public space. So I made up a last resort: I got myself a carriel, and there I put the little money that I had, which consisted of a few chains with their charms and a few earrings. Now I get on the buses. It is the fashion business. First I pay the driver to let me do the work. Then I distribute the samples to the passengers. There I command. I encourage them. I make them focus. I use all my histrionic resources to convince them of what I am going to sell them. In short, I teach them the qualities of what I offer. I take one of the chains and turn it several times with my hands on the rail of the roof of the car, and I pull it tightly so that they realize its resistance; then I wet it with the saliva, and rub it with my fingers to show them that it does not lose course.

It´s qualite as my tongue. Sometimes the charms are glass balls that inside have a grain that floats in oil, and which I call mustard for good luck. Others I make them believe that each pendant corresponds to a zodiac sign, so that they can buy the one that corresponds to them. There are many ways that I use to sell. Of course, I always have to check the bus on which I am going to get on, because I risk the value of the ticket that the driver paid for. That is my life. That is my destiny. I live on that.